Thursday, September 11, 2008

Not just an ordinary sort of day.

I love my job, making slipcovers, pillows, and other items for home decor, but there are some days that I really love my job. Like yesterday. I delivered a couple of sofa slipcovers. They turned out good and fit well, and then before I went home, I swung by Saffron and Genevieve to drop off a couple of pillow covers I had made for one of the owner, Colleen's, clients. I always love to wander around and look at the amazing things she finds, and the beautiful and creative ways she decorates the store. While I was enjoying myself with all the looking, I discovered this in the back of the store:



It is a vintage, metal, mail sorting unit.I added the drawers. I have been looking for something to put my sewing machine drawer collection in for a long time. Fortunately she has more sewing for me to do, so that I can pay for it in installments. (Zipper installments, flange installments...that sort of thing).

I always say..."There's nothing like a piece of furniture to brighten up your day."

7 comments:

Angie said...

What a perfect fit! Don't you love those type of installment payments.

Jean said...

What an awesome collection and way to store it! Perfect! Jean

Chrissyfeen said...

Hi - I love reading your blog and hearing about your sewing adventures! I am just now teaching my self to sew and so far so good. I have a really beautiful set of down overstuffed couches that I bought in a beautiful shade of butter yellow. 3 kids later they are more tan. I was thinking of making slip covers my goal but I know that will take time. Any advice? I know you do this professionally! Thanks! Christine

KT said...

Thanks for reading my blog and saying nice things. I taught myself to make slipcovers when my kids were little, because I wanted to be able to work from home. I have found that measuring to the center of the couch, or chair, or whatever, and making a pattern of half is the best way to go. I use second-hand sheets and make lots of notes on them. I was pleasantly surprised with how good my first one turned out, so don't be afraid. Just go for it.
Katie

Scarlett Fiona Reed said...

Katie that looks so great! It was meant to be. I can't believe I've been sitting on that piece for almost a year now.

Cyndi said...

I Love this idea! very Creative way to display your old drawers and great storage solution at the same time! Cyndi

Leigh said...

I almost passed out from envy when I saw this picture!! I LOVE IT! Can I move into your house?