Saturday, August 22, 2009

Grammy and B's day of fun.

My daughter is in town and went to photograph a wedding today, so our grandson spent the day with us. He had a full day. After his nap his Auntie took him to the beach, then we had spaghetti...yum.

Then playtime in the bath, and then craft-time. He took on the important task of making sure the crayon paper would not hinder our creativity.

We made cardboard horses from Ann Wood's blog. (One of my favorites.) I tried to make it a little more child-safe by making "cardboard buttons" to replace real buttons, and used curling ribbon instead of wire to attach the legs.

Tomorrow: horse races!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009


At least a year ago I bought the cutest little chaise lounge at a yard sale to slipcover, and after it sat in my garage for quite a while, I would have given it away, but no one would have taken it. The upholstery is in pretty bad shape, and the seat cushion was near non-existent. I even bought some yellow fabric to cover it, but was having doubts about the color.

This is the old upholstery.

I've really been loving shades of coral lately, so I decided to try to dye the yellow fabric. I do some work for an interior designer who is very adventurous when it comes to dyeing, and so I took courage from her. First I dyed the fabric with Rit rose pink dye, but it didn't change it dramatically, so I got some scarlet dye and that did the trick.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I made the seat with a six inch box and stuffed it with a folded, full sized feather bed that we weren't using. It is heaven to lounge on!

I had some extra pink dye so I decided to dye this little throw. A while after I took this picture, it accidentally got into a bleach load in the washer and some of the fabrics yellowed.

I can't wait to do more of this! I love the way the different fabrics reacted to the dye. And I always have beautiful little pieces of fabric around.

My new favorite spot.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Sewing session #2.

I got together with my little friend Mercy again for some sewing time, and she wanted to make this bag from Sew Pretty Homestyle by Tone Finnanger.

She used a scrap I had for the outside and a thrifted "housecoat" for the inner lining. Since there were pockets on the thrifted piece, we centered one of the pockets inside for some instant gratification.

So cute!

I love all the reds and pinks in this photo. It almost looks like we planned it.

I am getting more slipcover work lately, but will definitely be setting aside time for more sewing sessions too.