Thursday, May 3, 2007

I can finish it, really, I can.

I really admire people who don't have partially finished crafts laying around, or more likely, tucked into baskets, hidden under the twin sized sheets in the linen closet, or maybe even in a plastic storage bin under the couch. Unfortunately, I can't claim to be a member of that group, because I do have ADHDP ( Almost Done or Half Done Projects) around that should either be set free, or finished. I don't feel too guilty about not finishing every single undertaking. Sometimes, it just isn't how I thought it would be. I made no vow to continue the relationship, so there is no real urgency to work through the uncomfortable feelings. For instance...I LOVE the way hooked wool rugs look. I found a pattern for one in a book I bought at a yard sale, collected used wool clothing, washed it, cut it into strips, put my design on a piece of burlap, drove across town to buy a hooking tool, and happily started my project. That's when I realized, after finishing about a fourth of it, that it is a very itchy craft. Wool and I have never really gotten along, and I guess I was just blinded by love.

There is one project on my list of ADHDPs that I do want to finish, so I am trying to make time for it. It is a hatbox quilt from Kaffe Fassett's book "Passionate Patchwork". I love his colorful designs and his fearless creativity.



This quilt design is a perfect use for some of my leftovers.



Of course, some of these fabrics came from my " can't walk past a pretty piece of fabric" collection.



It will be fun to look at this quilt when it is finished, (and it WILL be finished) and say, oh yes, that is the fabric that is in Mrs. Abernathy's bedroom, or on Mrs. Whites sofa, etc.



I have a quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was a teenager in the 60's. It was made from fabrics left over from my "I want to make my own clothes phase". It's fun to look at it and say, "Oh yeah, I made some shorts from that fabric to wear to summer camp back in the mid century era."

No comments: