Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Just truck'n.

Driving home on the freeway the other day we saw an old black pick-up with big blue-flowering plants in the back. It would have made a great photo if we hadn't been driving 65mph and if I had had a camera. I really wanted to capture the image on paper somehow, but knew if I tried, I couldn't make it look how I remembered it. So, I decided to combine the inspiration with my desire to make a quilt using my ties and suit fabrics. (my last post). I decided to put different things in the backs of the trucks.




I have my squares in progress pinned up on a bulletin board on my workroom door. I have seen in catalogues huge pieces of felted fabric that you put up on the wall, and then your squares, etc. can be put on it, like a flannel board. That way you can move them around and decide how to put it all together. I have a hallway wall that I really want to do this to.





I hadn't used the freezer paper method for applique until now, and it works really well with these thin silk tie fabrics. I may try to do a tutorial later this week.




This "license plate" tag came from the tie I used on this square.

My husband and I are going on a short road trip and I am so thankful that I don't have a problem with motion sickness. I am looking forward to having some sewing time in the car.

6 comments:

Raya Carlisle said...

Forest is convinced you are making this quilt because you know we are having a boy...I told him not so fast..But if we do have a boy and you want to give this to us I would gladly take it off your hands. Once again, your creativity blows me away. Martha has nothing on you!

Angie said...

What a labor of love! I'm not sure if I could sit still long enough to do something like that.

I do love how you are using the ties.

OldBagNewTricks said...

OMG -- THAT is the most beautiful, creative, dazzling thing.... ever. Your pattern is unique and your colors are perfect!!!! I am endlessly impressed and amazed with you. (Love the silk tie tag license plate.)

Jenny

Jean said...

I am not a sewer or a quilter but your truck quilt is AWESOME! What creativity! Thanks for stopping by to visit and for your nice comment.

Vallen said...

You are hands down, the most inventive and inspirational person on the planet. I love this so much!! It is a museum piece.

woof nanny said...

OMG--LOOOVE the license plate. Okay if I blog about this quilt?