Thursday, August 16, 2007

Freezer Paper Applique

As promised, here are the instructions for doing "freezer paper" applique. (Also can be found on the freezer paper container.)




Freezer paper has a plastic coating on one side, making it shiny. On the non-shiny, or paper side draw or trace your pattern , just how you want it to look, not reversed. ( I am making an applique of a surfboard) , then cut it out.




Lay your cut out pattern, shiny side up ( this will be the back) onto the wrong side of your fabric. Cut out the fabric, adding about 3/8 inch or so. Cut slits up to the paper in curved areas.




Then fold the allowance onto the paper and press. It will stick to the shiny side of the paper.



I left the bottom of my applique open because it will be covered by another fabric. That is where I will remove the paper after I have sewn it on. (I will show you another way to remove it.)





Now place the applique where you want it to go and press. It will stick to the fabric.



I usually pin it as well, so it doesn't shift. Then sew it on using an invisible stitch, or you can use the blanket stitch.




You can leave an unsewn space, preferably a straight part, and pull out the paper before you finish your stitching, or you can turn the whole piece over when you're all done, cut a slit and pull it out from the back. Just be really careful when you're cutting so that you don't cut your beautiful handiwork.

Have fun appliqueing. When the holey jeans go out of style just cover the holes up with appliques!

4 comments:

OldBagNewTricks said...

I never knew precisely how this was done... now I do and a dozen projects are instantly swirling in my head... Thanks.

Jenny

dailycraft said...

This is great, thank you!

Casey Maura said...

Great tutorial!! I have a whole roll of freezer paper I bought for stenciling tshirts (and never did!), so I guess I know what to use it for now... lol. Thank you for sharing this!! :)

woof nanny said...

This rocks, thank you for that information.