Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad

My dad turned 89 yesterday. Unfortunately, his birthday is sandwiched in between two of my daughters' birthdays that are exactly one week apart. (The birthdays, that is.That would be pretty strange if the daughters were only a week apart. They are actually 5 years, minus one week apart.) So I'm usually a little late with my greeting.

I am so thankful that my dad (and mom) are so healthy and enjoying life. My dad still goes out and plows and plants a huge garden each year. A couple of weeks ago he was taking the plastic off of his handmade greenhouse, getting ready for the Colorado winter. Once again he is setting a great example for me...."Keep doing what you love to do."

Growing up, the examples he set spoke loudest to me. He was and is very selective with his words, but by example and well timed exhortation he taught me to be honest, patient, kind and not to make excuses. (I'm not saying I've mastered these qualities, but I try.)

These are some of my favorite pictures from our summer trips to New Mexico where we stayed in a rustic cabin. As I remember, it was in the middle of a cow pasture and we would fetch water from the well (or spring) that served the bovine. I remember lots of chipmunks and lots of fun. Here we are on the porch. My dad is on the top step. I am sitting next to my aunt below him, and the other people are brothers, grandparents, uncle and cousins.



I loved going fishing with my dad when I was a little older than I am here. He taught me how to find a good pool where the fish like to hide.

Thanks, Dad for baiting my hook all those times and letting me tag along.



I'm not sure if I'm laughing or crying here, but I love this picture of us riding a horse. If I was crying, my dad's expression doesn't reflect it. He looks like he is having fun.



Thanks again, Dad, for all you have done for me through the years. I hope you had a special day.

No comments: