Thursday, October 18, 2007

ties and tapes

I am working on a slipcover that needs a couple of skinny ties, so I got out my bias tape maker, and thought I would do a demonstration, for anyone who hasn't used one.

They come in different sizes and this one makes bias tape (or a tie) that is 1/4 inch wide. Start by cutting a one inch strip on the bias if you are making bias tape. I didn't cut mine on the bias because I am just making straight ties.




Feed the strip into the wide side, using a pin to pull it out the other side.



Press the now folded strip as it comes through the tool.



You now have a "tape" that is 1/2 inch flat, or 1/4 inch folded.



To make my ties, I just stitch the open side closed near the edge.



I back stitch the end and apply Fray Check to keep it from raveling.



You can order them here or at just about any place that sells sewing notions.

2 comments:

OldBagNewTricks said...

Now, of course, I will be looking all over the place for a reason to use them... now, can you teach me to use that hem turner foot that came with my sewing machine -- that thing has me completely stumped.

Thank You,
Jenny

Casey Maura said...

Thank you for this little tutorial--I've been eying those bias-makers, and now I know how to use them! :D