Monday, January 14, 2008

Getting there....

Actually there is no there. I will never have the feeling that I have arrived where organization is concerned because the mess-maker in me will continue to fight my efforts at creating order.But.. I put my book sorting on hold because I found a shelf for my sewing room. A very talented lady who is taking a break from sewing lives in a cute little house between two antique stores, and my friends and I jump for joy when she has one of her frequent yard sales. (Good stuff!) I bought a weathered baker's rack from her that has been treated so that it only looks kind of rusty. (none rubs off) It is a much better size to fit my space and now it has ZONES. Before, I had baskets to hold jobs I'm working on, etc. but they always ended up filled with unironed shirts and fabric scraps.

Here is a picture of the old shelf. A very nice shelf, but too narrow, leaving another too narrow space that I was trying to make use of.



And this is the window sill before with all those jars of buttons!



This is the new shelf with ZONES.



The top shelf is for jobs in progress. The next shelf has baskets for thread, velcro, and other sewing supplies. Shelf 3 has totes with pattern-making materials ( when I make a slipcover, I first make a pattern of the furniture.) Next.. two baskets for personal projects I am working on (quilts), and the bottom shelf has some craft supplies in baskets and hat boxes. (unironed shirts are in a cute white laundry basket that can be moved around)



This is where those buttons went, into a hanging jewelry holder. There are more on the other side.



I will post a couple of other useful things I found later. And I have to confess that I did push a couple of unruly piles off to the side when I took pictures. Those darn unruly piles!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Looks like you are doing a great job organizing your space. Great idea for your buttons!

Vallen said...

Those darn unruly piles, piles of things that have no home. Things that go from one unruly pile to the next. That unruly pile that is always left AFTER yuo finish organizing. Yep, I know that unruly pile well. It roams my house stopping in chairs, in closets, on tables. What to other people DO with the unruly pile?
I am envious of your new system of banishing most unruly piles.

Angie said...

Great job! Can't wait to see what else you do. Having an organized space makes you so much more productive.