Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New business idea: Human Slipcovers



I found this great jacket on the sale rack at Target and love it. It is really warm and comfy, and I get frequent compliments. Two or three people have asked me if I made it?! I haven't made any clothes in years. I haven't followed a pattern in years. I tried to make a tote bag with a pattern, and only made it through step 2.( I guess I have way less patience than I always thought I did.) Seems like I remember removing the pattern from the cutting table with one sweep of my arm, and then just going at it on my own. A project involves more hit or miss that way, but that's what sewing has become for me. An adventure. I have done so much ripping and re-sewing over the years, that I don't even mind it that much, if it means I can just take off sewing without a map. So unless there is a wedding coming up or some other real need for me to sew in a civilized manner, I'll be sewing by the seat of my pants.

I tried to imagine what a garment made by me would look like and this is what I came up with:

6 comments:

Angie said...

Too funny! I love it! And I can so relate. Have not sewn clothes for so long and dread the idea of it.

Angie

Vallen said...

I used to make all my clothes but I needed a pattern most of the time. Now that cuter fabrics are becoming available I can see myself starting up again.
Your little outfit there would be adorable as cushions. You may have started something.

Anonymous said...

This actually cracked me up sweetie. I pledge to get you away from that sewing room soon, VERY SOON as that slipcover from you know where you are currently working on may be affecting your sanity.

OldBagNewTricks said...

I love this piece -- it makes me smile from the inside. I sew by the seat of my pants too. Come to think of it I cook that way too... and drive and... hmmmmm, there's a trend here.

Terrific slipcover clothes you've designed there.

Jenny

Tracy said...

Wonderful! I do a lot of sewing, but not much in the way clothing sewing. Being petite I have a hard time getting things to fit right and altering patterns, but not confident enough in making my own patterns. Can't wait to see what you come up with next! Happy week ((HUGS))

Julie said...

I haven't used a pattern since junior high home ec. I'd rather work something through on my own. I have recently bought some easy patterns but I'm apprehensive to even open them.