Thursday, April 16, 2009

I love bugs....

Or maybe I should say PICTURES of bugs. I like how they look on paper or cloth, not so much how they look when they are wriggling and crawling.


These bugs are from an Entomology print that I bought from Colleen at Saffron and Genevieve.
(You could get one from her too if you like it):





This bee is on my new living room curtains, which were actually meant to be shower curtains, but I lined them and " WALA "
you would never know, except that I just told you:





These beautifully illustrated bugs are from a 1964 edition of The Gardener's Bug Book, first published in 1946. They seem much too pretty to be in a book about how to go about killing them. Shouldn't they be painted in ugly, ominous looking colors, instead of these lovely pastels?




I learned from this book that the caterpillars of the Black Swallowtail Butterfly are known as "Celeryworms" or "Parsleyworms" because they eat celery and parsley, but lucky for them, they are not considered a major pest. I will plant lots of celery and parsley if they will come and hang out in my garden.


5 comments:

Angie said...

Those are cute bugs! Every since I started working the help desk at the extension service, I look at bugs in a different way. My tolerence level has really gone up. Most time now I'm content to live and let live.

ferne said...

I loved your bug pictures so much that I found a copy of the old version on Amazon and ordered it! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to get my book. I'll let you know if the pictures are as nice, if not I might have to go order your version.

Scarlett Fiona Reed said...

I love that book too, beautiful!

Erin said...

Hey Katie!
It's Erin (we met at Colleen's trunk show). How do I get a hold of you to find out about possibly buying a slipcover from you? I think we have the funds to take care of our "nasty" couch!
my email is eadamsdesigns at gmail dot com

OldBagNewTricks said...

Now here's a bug collection I can really appreciate!! (I'm pretty much a live and let line sort of bug neighbor too -- I even tolerate ants in my kitchen so long as they are in small quiet groups, like church ladies, rather than raucous rowdy crowds like a frat house.) Darling, darling bugs you have.

Jenny