Friday, June 22, 2007

Darn it! Or just go buy a new pair.

Collection Reunion # 4 is actually a combination of two collections. The sock darners and the crochet hooks.



Crochet hooks will never go out of style. At least they shouldn't. But sock darners, well, you don't see too many people (women) sitting around fixing the holes in the family's socks. The darner goes inside the holey sock in order to provide a surface on which to do the darning. I'll be darned if I'm gonna darn any darn old holey socks, unless they are special hand-made ones.

So why do I collect sock darners you might ask? I think I bought the first one at a time when I was much younger and was actually knitting a pair of socks on four little skinny needles. I do admire people who do that. I love hand-knit socks, I just don't think I have the patience for it myself. Maybe in a few years. Anyway, I think there was never an actual pair of socks. If I remember, the one I finished became a sort of Christmas stocking. (What else can you do with one colorful hand made sock?)

An update on my latest craft project:
Yesterday I finally visited a thrift store a friend has been telling me about for years. It is a couple of towns away, and I was there on business, so I stopped by. Alas, I only had 20 minutes. The place is HUGE. I did have enough time to find a bag of 26 Prismacolor colored pencils for 69 cents. Yea! So I used my pile of inspiration from the other day (with a few changes) and made a pencil holder/carrier for my drawing pencils.





The ones in the box are woodless colored pencils. They are great. No lead to break, and not too expensive either.

4 comments:

faithsalutes said...

.69 cents? That is amazing. Though oddly enough my grandma and I were talking about how good crayola colored pencils are vs. her $150 set. I think the basket is worth about $69.00.

OldBagNewTricks said...

I am catching up on my blog reading and I am always so happy to come here. you are SOOOOO funny and clever and creative. I love the tote. As a former writer, I love the notion of "crafters block." And since I am catching up, I love Max and his little friend Bean... Such a fine pair.

Waving Hello
Jenny

Angie said...

You have the neatest collection of sewing tools. Can't wait to see the next collection.

Raya Carlisle said...

Mom! That basket is great. I need to go to this thrift store next time I visit...Maui is beautiful, and we're having a relaxing time. Miss you!