Thursday, August 23, 2007

Something old, something new.....

....something borrowed... a canoe. Actually it was a kayak. Two kayaks. The something old was, or is, our marriage, but in a good way. Maybe 30 years isn't really THAT old, but it does feel like an accomplishment. We went to Morro Bay to celebrate, which is getting to be a tradition. We love to visit there. It has aspects we both love. Surf fishing for Tom and shopping in quaint shops and the beautiful quilting store for me. And now, something new, we discovered that we love to kayak (in the blue water).







We also discovered an awesome restaurant in a neighboring town. Tom, being the man of wisdom that he is, talked with the "quilting man" (he actually teaches quilting ) while I was drooling around the store, and found out where the "locals" go.

The locals have good taste.

I wish I had taken a picture in my favorite store. Favorite of just about all stores, not just in Morro Bay. It is a vintage trim, millinery flower, button, applique, yarn, etc. store. She has a website, but it really doesn't compare to the narrow aisles of floor to ceiling beautiful vintageness of actually being in the shop. The next time I go there, I will have some sweet feminine projects in mind. I have been so focused on my truck quilt that I didn't get any specific inspirations while I was there. I did buy a couple of bunches of millinery flowers.




One last fun thing that happened... We ate breakfast in this little bay-side coffee shop a couple of times, and the second time noticed that there was a shelf of books by the front door. We asked the owner, a very nice man who personally serves coffee to the customers who are outside waiting for a table, and he told us that it was his book. We bought one. It is a moving story about his life as an orphan in China and how he came to the U.S. The name of the book is "Double Luck" by Lu Chi Fa.

I've had a couple of days to readjust to the routine, so....the piles and rolls of fabric are calling me, and I must go to them and do what I do.

No comments: