Wednesday, May 28, 2008
My beef with the ham.
I recently made seats for some round chairs and was reminded how hard it is to press slipcovers at times. I have a pressing ham
that works sometimes, but not that often. (Not to be confused with a ham press ). For a while I have been wanting to make one myself.
I decided that I need something shaped more like a roast. I cut two layers of wool for the top and two for the bottom and two strips for the "boxing". Since the pressing roast needs to be extra firm and I didn't want to go out looking for sawdust, I used cut up wool scraps.
I was having a hard time getting it firm enough, so I added a core of rolled up wool.
The finished product looks more like a giant pork chop, but will work nicely for those hard to press slipcover arm-fronts. For the round cushions I actually need a big pie slice. Maybe I will tackle that next.